Current:Home > ScamsNevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -Wealth Evolution Experts
Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
Burley Garcia View
Date:2025-04-05 15:20:32
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have again been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (66)
Related
- Juan Soto praise of Mets' future a tough sight for Yankees, but World Series goal remains
- How Big Oil Blocked the Nation’s Greenest Governor on Climate Change
- K-9 dog dies after being in patrol car with broken air conditioning, police say
- WWE Wrestling Champ Sara Lee's Cause of Death Revealed
- New data highlights 'achievement gap' for students in the US
- How Derek Jeter Went From Baseball's Most Famous Bachelor to Married Father of 4
- Monkeypox cases in the U.S. are way down — can the virus be eliminated?
- K-9 dog dies after being in patrol car with broken air conditioning, police say
- Jorge Ramos reveals his final day with 'Noticiero Univision': 'It's been quite a ride'
- After State Rejects Gas Pipeline Permit, Utility Pushes Back. One Result: New Buildings Go Electric.
Ranking
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- With Some Tar Sands Oil Selling at a Loss, Why Is Production Still Rising?
- 3 personal safety tips to help you protect yourself on a night out
- Abortion is on the California ballot. But does that mean at any point in pregnancy?
- Angelina Jolie nearly fainted making Maria Callas movie: 'My body wasn’t strong enough'
- A kind word meant everything to Carolyn Hax as her mom battled ALS
- Wildfire smoke-laden haze could hang around Northeast and beyond for days, experts warn
- Biden vetoes bill to cancel student debt relief
Recommendation
Opinion: Gianni Infantino, FIFA sell souls and 2034 World Cup for Saudi Arabia's billions
IRS sends bills to taxpayers with the wrong due date for some
Remote work opened some doors to workers with disabilities. But others remain shut
Brain Cells In A Dish Play Pong And Other Brain Adventures
Trump issues order to ban transgender troops from serving openly in the military
Below Deck Alum Kate Chastain Addresses Speculation About the Father of Her Baby
Concussion protocols are based on research of mostly men. What about women?
Unfounded fears about rainbow fentanyl become the latest Halloween boogeyman